Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Today & Thoughts on 2010


It's Tuesday September 8th and just over 2 weeks since Timberman 70.3. In that time I've enjoyed our one family vacation of the yr (staying in Gilford - here's me and my hommies at Storyland), did minimal training (thanks to the hammy) and went back to work (big UGH! congrats and kudos to those who enjoy their work).
I also started to think about what I'd like to accomplish next season - races, goals, outcomes, etc. So here they are:

Oct '09 - BAA Half (signed up but will be game time decision based on how hammy feels)
February – Hyannis Half
March – Oceanside 70.3 (A)
April – ?
May – ?
June – Eagleman 70.3 (A); Cohasset Sprint (B)
July – ?Providence 70.3? (B); Appleman (C); Marlboro Sprint (B)
August – Timberman 70.3 (A); Gloucester Sprint (B)
September – ?Pumpkinman Half?
October – Kona IM ;-)
November - Clearwater (if no October)
(anything missing I should be considering?)

And now some thoughts on 2010...

Goals for 2010
1. practice nutrition plan every long workout
2. hit race fuel plan each race (over drink the bottles if hot/humid)
3. hit my training plan 100%
4. hit my prescribed race plan (watts/pace)
5. drop weight - race at 178-180 (= 10 to 12 lb drop from today... ?strip muscle?)
6. incorporate strength training plan
7. build hill strength for both bike and run
8. don't think about the race outcomes without hitting the above goals

Targets for 2010
1. stay healthy - no injuries/illness
2. build durability (multiple HIMs) for future IM
3. lower my run pace
4. increase threshold watts
5. lower avg 100/yd swim time (1:25?)
6. execute my prescribed watts and run pace each race
7. race at 178-180 lbs

2010 Outcomes
1. lower run pace (low 7s) for 70.3
2. increase avg watts - race
3. Top 3 AG in local races / Top 10 AG in big races (Oceanside, Eagleman, Timberman)
4. qualify for Kona
5. qualify for Clearwater
6. get through the season healthy, happy, satisfied and looking forward (mentally and physically) to 2011 = keep the train moving.

OK, that's it. Always easy to put it on paper - now gotta execute.

Went for my first run post-Timberman today and was pleased. Wasn't sure what to expect since the (left) hammy is still tight but I needed to get out there as much for the mental as the physical...
Was thinking I would run 45 minutes, and the way it started I didn't see there being a problem with that: was surprisingly quick, felt light, had a nice fast turnover and ran on the forefoot easily. No pain, tightness, discomfort what so ever in the hammy. Very pleased... then, just about 15 minutes into it I started to feel the fatigue in the hammy, so I decided I would turn there and head back, taking the pace down a bit and stopping a few minutes later to do some stretching. All was pretty good and I ended with a nice 30' out and back, perfectly under control, not too hard or too easy. At the end the legs felt heavy but okay. So, mission accomplished - and hopefully on the right road to recovery.

Next up, get together with Coach Pat (Wheeler/QT2) and map out the plan to reach my goals, targets and hopefully my outcomes for 2010.

work2Bdone

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice write up. I need to do one of these to get my head in the right place for 2010.

    How bout Florida 70.3 in May?

    I'm with ya on the work thing. Don't hate it so much as I have other things better to do, like stay in the pool longer in the morning, take a nap everyday, get in 2 SOLID workouts everyday... you know, stuff like that. WHERE IS MY SUGAR DADDY?????????????????????????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul,

    Great to hear you are racing Eagleman10! We are going to have an absolute blast!! I may do timberman next year also. Keep rockin' brother!!!
    When do I get to meet trigirlpink? -K.

    ReplyDelete