Friday, August 6, 2010

How soon we (ok, I) forget...

Been feeling like ASS the last 2 weeks...

After a great Lake Placid training weekend I returned home and proceeded to experience 2 weeks of carb-induced coma and minimal training - fatigued!
Hmmm, begs to ask the question: which came first the chicken or the egg???

The body was tired the first week back... work was very busy... and I just had the hardest time getting out of bed in the morning to train. Barely managed a few workouts that first week back - UGH!

Okay, so Coach PW says dump the Marlboro Sprint in favor of a good solid training weekend - yes! That's what I wanted!

So I set out Saturday morning looking to do a 4 hr+ ride and 40-60 minute T-Run. With an early wake-up "call" of 0400 (too early, had to wait a bit for some daylight) I set out solo for Mt Wawa (my staple long ride). Figuring I could gain back what fitness I lost the previous week in just one weekend (precursor to trouble...), I went out in Z2 and actually felt pretty good. Excellent! Let's keep it going... hills, no problemo! Motor up! No Power Tap means we'll just push, push, push. Everything seems good and it's a beautiful day! La-Di-F***ing-Da!
(dumb - dumb - dumb)

I was cruzing along with fluids and food in tow; however I did NOT practice good nutrition during the ride. I noticed at one point I was 75 minutes in and still had 1/2 my first bottle left = Half Full or Half Empty? The answer soon became clearly evident.

I got to the top of Wawa feeling fine - no problem taking on Mile Hill Road. Turned around and headed back down thinking I would put one more rep on it before heading East. Bagged that idea and started pushing home.

Well, as I should have known, the legs started to tire and the eyes started seeing stars. Damn! As fast as it came on I knew it was too late to salvage so I backed off some but not too much as I wanted to get home to crash and burn in anonymity.

This is how I used to train - w/out knowledge, w/out a plan or at least with the wrong plan. And I would wonder WHY am I tired? WHY am I sick? WHY do I need to take a year off after last season?

So not only did I wreck myself for my post-ride run but I was still trashed Sunday, Monday, Tuesday (WTF?), Wednesday (are you freakin' kidding me?!?!)... Bonking doesn't just ruin what's left of that day but clearly it affects a number of days following. I should have just drunk a case of beer and ate Doritos all weekend cuz it would have had the same ending (but would have tasted so much better!)

This is why I hooked up with PW and QT2 Systems - to learn and improve, be smart about what you do each day (eating, training) and compete at another level. I'm still trying to get to that other level but it ain't happening with setbacks like last Saturday's ride.

So we put that behind us and move on... the good thing is by Thursday morning something clicked - I wasn't expecting it when I climbed on the trainer in the morning but the 90 minute ride was effortless - and the run was strong and easy... so much so that I actually had to scale it back. I felt great again (hopefully not to be short lived...) - got home, weighed in as the humidity was like pea soup = dropped 5 lbs in the 2 hours. Figured it would all come back but as my last message read I weighed in this morning at 185.x. Whoa! Probabaly not completely "real" but I'll take it for now.

This weekend I'm heading North to race the 2nd Annual Gloucester Fisherman Tri. Janda Ricci-Munn put on a great show in '09 and it looks even better this year. Weather is set to be perfect and after yesterday's wkout I am excited again.

Then it's on to Timberman 70.3 of course...........

work2Bdone

No comments:

Post a Comment