Thursday, May 14, 2009

Time to get back to work (originally entitled "Slacker" until I noticed that title recently being used)

Slacker - more for my ineptitude in keeping this blog-baby going than for my training --- that actually has been good to very good at times over the past 2 months since my last (real) post; it has also seen some down time and troubles...

In true TRI fashion let me quickly summarize what’s been happening since early March ( quick summary cuz I don’t type fast at all!)

SWIM
Ok, so I decided not to continue with the Tony Sufferfests in Dedham on Saturdays this spring – reason being, I need the early Saturdays for a long bike. I can accomplish a great 3 hr ride Saturday morning in the time it would take me to drive to Dedham, have a great swim workout then drive home. With 4 kids, 3 of which have their many weekend sports activities – if I don’t get the work done by 9am I usually don’t get it done – period. So I decided to commit myself to hitting the pool M/W/F on my own (god help me to get there and push it). Started out strong, then had a set back with my wife’s travel schedule – but after a 3000yd swim this morning, and feeling pretty good through it, I am once again excited to be in the pool.
(I will rejoin some masters’ program after the season for sure!)

BIKE
Most improvement and joy in this discipline. I didn’t hit the roads until mid April cuz I hate the cold! But with the addition of my PowerTap and some training programs/bike tests from Endurance Nation I got a lot of great saddle time and fitness in the basement. Once I hit the outdoors I felt (and still feel) great – plenty of room for improvement, of course, but loving being out there, doing the intervals or riding 3 hours.
Even had the pleasure of running into and meeting TriGirlPink in Concord one morning as I was finishing up. Was flying down Lowell, looked over and saw this black P3 with pink Team Psycho decal - there's only one made in the universe ya know. So I had to stop and say “Hi” before she ventured off with the TP team (great to meet you TGP)

RUN
Was really loving my run training for a while there - until I pulled my L hammy doing 4x1 mile intervals.
One of my goals this year is to really work on my running, getting my times down to where I can average low 6’s for 10k or mid 6’s for HIMs. Felt like that was coming along even with the hip… speed was picking up, pacing was dropping (mile/min that is), was feeling fit and strong even with the labrum tear. I think I figured out how to run with it this year = by being under control, having a quicker turnover (which of course is just plain good for your run anyway) and being very careful with up/down hills and never over striding or reaching with the foot. As long as I keep everything within the limits of my "personal space" I feel I can manage the pain. Was even banging out 10k runs no problem. Until the pull --- predisposed by playing wiffle ball in the back yard with my son... this (now) 44 yr old body doesn't like to accelerate too quickly any more.

FINISH LINE
Ok, that’s about it in a nut shell for the last 2 months. Weight is steady at 189-190. Body comp has changed with drop in fat but weight same. Goal of racing at 184 seems hard to reach as I’ve been pretty good with diet… though not up to Jesse’s standards so there is work to be done! It’ll help once I start running again…

So hopefully this is the re-start of my Shakespearean gut-spilling. It’s fun to write and re-read as time passes.
Thanks for taking a minute to read it { TGP :-) }

Mooseman International only 3 weeks away…

Safe Training Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment