Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The week that was... Cohasset on the horizon.

After an invigorating and wet race at Ashland I was looking at a couple weeks before the next race at Cohasset on June 28th. This race will also have a stacked field of pros and elites – should be fun stuff as I compare my numbers to the area’s/world’s best triathletes.

Anyway, I was looking forward to a good week of training knowing I wasn’t racing the upcoming weekend – this of course meant getting to do a monster ride Saturday.

So I spent Monday after Ashland in the pool for an easy swim (‘bout 2500y) and followed that with 60’ spin at work on the trainer (in the open-air garage, overlooking Maynard = far from the picturesque photos Lance keeps Tweeting of “his office view”. Air-compressor filled rooftops vs. snow-capped mountain tops… which would you rather stare at)

As I mentioned earlier in my musings, I want to focus on my run this year and get that to where I feel I can hold mid-to-low 6’s for a 10k (mid-to-high for a HIM). With the pulled hammy a couple months ago I haven’t been able to really put the effort into the runs. This week I decided to start looking at that again, so on Tuesday I ran a 10k from work initially easy but negative-splitting the return 5k (as planned). It was a good run, staying consistent around 7:45 for 4 miles before dropping to 7:25 then 6:59 the last 2. The hammy was a bit tight but overall no problems and I felt fine fitness-wise.

Having to generally get my training started around 0500 in the morning (due to work and 4 young, active kids) I have learned this 44 yr old body needs about 2 days of sleeping in (0600 is sleeping in for me – cannot recall the last time I awoke after 0700). That was the case for Wednesday, so I missed my time in the pool.

Bounced back Thursday morning with a 75’ spin on the trainer and another 10k run at lunch. This time I incorporated intervals throughout the run:
6x 1/2m @6:30 with 1/2m recover @7:45 or better. (7:10 avg)
This felt real good, encouraging.

Friday is usually Walden day, a swim with a couple of loops on the trails around the pond. As has been the case all this month it was raining. So I bagged the pond for the pool. Glad I did as I put forth my best pool effort in a while, totaling 4100y in Ladder format (100, 200, 400, 800, 1000, 800, 400, 200, 100, 100cd). I was trying to keep my 100s at 1:30 and only about 1:00-1:30 recovery… not sure the 1:30 100s held true the whole workout but overall I was pleased.

On to my Saturday long ride – had two ways to go:
1. try for a 5 hr 100 mile ride (avg 20 mph), or
2. 4-5 hrs with some interval work thrown in

Since I got about a 30 minute late start (0515 rollout) I opted for the latter.
I headed to Mt WaWa again as I like the hill work (with Timberman coming up in lass than 10 weeks); actually lucked out with decent weather Saturday – NO RAIN!
Results: 4:15, 85 miles, 20.1 avg mph, 231 watts (pnorm 260), after 30’ wu, intervals of 3x20' (3') = 309watts, 293watts; 311watts. Tried to keep the rest of the wkout b/t 245-265 watts. Big thing I noticed that daywas the fatigued in my legs about 2:15 into the ride – most likely due to the intervals but I would like to feel better up to 3 hrs = this way I know I can push Timberman and still have a good run to follow.

I got home with the hopes of a short run to see how the legs would react but had other family commitments, so I figured let the legs rest and maybe do 60’ in the afternoon. Nope, more family stuff… running around for Father’s Day and b-day gifts for my Dad and watching the youngin’.

Sunday, between my son being in the Little League All-Star game (which I was coaching) and a Father’s Day/B-Day celebration at my house after for my Dad, the day was shot. PLUS, I cheated a bit with some cake and ice cream (ugh!). Oh well.

The resulting Sunday-sugar coma and a long day at work (end of the Qtr stresses) kept me down Monday – no wkouts. Got a good spin and short run on Tuesday morning; and tonight I will run the Wayside 5k in Marlboro. I’m using this race to get some HR data – may not be the best course due to the hills but I’ll put everything into it.

So that’s where I am to date… Sunday is Cohasset – a sprint tri. Will do some high intensity work the rest of the week.

After that, it’s on to QT2 and new coach Pat Wheeler! Totally stoked! (more later…)

Safe Training Everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Yup. As you can see I started messing around with this a while ago, to chronical my attempt at Ironman... trying to use it as a diary. Pretty fun to look back at what you write (even if it's only a few mnths later).
    Keep up with yours - I enjoy reading them.
    pw

    ReplyDelete