Friday, June 5, 2009

Mooseman International 2009 - Pre-Race

So here's my abbreviated story leading up to Moosey...

Started training a while back (see prev. blog entries);
- feelin' good, getting the "sludge" out...
- seemingly able to manage the back and hip (good news);
- bike getting stronger (pleased);
- improving my run speed (very pleased as this was the area I most wanted improvement this year);
- pull the hammy doing intervals = set back, CRAP!
- less running and more pool work (okay);
- start running again but easy - no intervals... not what I want but will take it;
- start swimming in Walden about 10 days prior to race, not too cold at all with my new XTerra long-sleeved suit (really like it).
- still not running to hard - or too much (hmmm);
- getting a few quality rides in, including 2 trips to Mt WaWa.

Jump to 1 week prior to the race...
WTF?!?! The race is NEXT WEEK???!!! Holy Crap Batman!

I am certainly not where I want to be... but okay, so I'll go in under-trained.
(this is where a coach would tell me not to worry, it’s not your “A” race… well, problem is they’re all “A” races to me… it’s my personal demon)

Speaking of under-trained, I was once asked: "do you like your chocolate chip cookies undercooked or overcooked?"
My answer = undercooked. Hell, just give me cookie dough and I'm good to go!
His point being it’s better to go into the race under-trained than over-trained (burnt out). Okay, so by that reasoning, I'm feeling like I'm the cookie dough in the bowl before you even turn the oven on, as I head up to Moosey tomorrow.... so be it.

Back to the week leading up to the race…
- had a great solo ride to Mt WaWa and back (20 mph for 3.5 hours!) Saturday;
- into Walden Monday – felt strong;
- 4m run Tuesday… a little slow and sluggish, consistent avg 6:47 thru-out = wanted 6:30 pace or better… disappointed;
- Feeling a bit “off” Wed morning, thus no Walden swim… instead 60’ bike w/ intervals at lunch (felt good);
- Thursday = the real trouble begins… still feeling a bit off, can’t get up early for Walden, again no swim, just plain wiped. Got to bed early… too much sleep??… at work my low back is really bothering and seizing up/tight. I ice it and start a healthy diet of 800mg ibuprofen every 4 hrs… as the day wears on so does the stiffness. It moves to my upper back, traps and neck. Now I’m walking like I’m wearing a back brace. Really bummed. I stretch (as best I can), pop the Advil, drink a lot of water and hope… and swear… and hope.
- Friday = 0430 wake up looking for relief and a trip Walden, still stiff so I bag it. Will go to work, bag out early and get ready for the ride up to the race very early tomorrow morning. I’ll jump on the bike for a quick spin to see how the disc holds up, then a quick T-run… trying not to aggravate anything.
- Saturday = Race Day… Hoping for the best when I wake up at 3am later tonight / tomorrow morning…

A couple of weeks ago I put together my goals for the race based on reading last year’s results and placing myself among names and abilities I know (this was prior to all this crap going down the last week…)
My original swim time was likely unrealistic (they must have had a short swim last year) so I bump that time up a bit. Here was what I set for myself (back in Mid May, before the wheels fell off…)

Swim 18:45
T1 1:30
Bike 1:15:00 (21.8 mph)
T2 :45
Run 41:00 (6:37 pace)

Total Goal Finish Time: 2:17:00

Top 20 Overall (maybe Top 25)
Top 10 Age Group


If any of this works out I’ll be thrilled! And we’ll know the Advil and witchcraft worked.

Bottom line… gotta be more consistent (words one Mr. Wheeler passed along about a month ago.)

The pre-season is over and it’s time to race. But the plane is to build to Appleman and Timberman Half, so let’s (TRY and) be smart going forward. No more messing around… I need to stick to the plan… A plan… ANY plan for that matter.
= build consistency
= not get injured training
= strengthen the core
= stretch more
= follow a plan.

Enough for now. Talk to you after the race. (thanks for reading!)

Safe training everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment